Sizes & Varieties
* Varieties :
– Chandler, Hartley, Howard, Tulare, Serr and Vina.
– Jumbo size: walnuts of which 88 percent have a diameter larger than 80/64 inches (317mm).
– Large size: walnuts of which 88 percent have a diameter larger than 77/64 inches (305mm).
– Medium size: walnuts of which 12 percent have a diameter smaller than 77/64 inch (305mm) and 88 percent have a diameter larger than 73/64 inches (290mm)
* More information on Walnut sizes & distinctions:
– Walnut halves: To qualify as halve, the nuts should be 7/8 or more intact. 85 percent of the nuts should consist of halve kernels.
– Walnut pieces and halves: 20% or more are half kernels
– Walnut pieces: portions of kernels cannot pass through 24/64 inch (953 mm) round openings.
– Walnut medium pieces: No less than 98 percent may pass through a 32/64 inch (127 mm) screen. No more than 1 percent may pass through a 8/64 (318 mm) screen.
– Walnut small pieces: portions of kernels may pass through 24/64 inch (953 mm) round openings, but not through 8/64 inch (318 mm) round openings.
– Walnut meal: fine powder.
* Two-thirds of the world’s commercial walnuts, are produced in California. Other large walnut producing countries are China, Iran, Turkey, Chile, Ukraine, Moldavia, France, and Netherlands.